Friday, January 06, 2006

Mosaic

For Christmas I wanted to make a mosaic for my sister. I have never made a mosaic before, so I had to find out everything about it before I could start: where to find the material, how to put the piece together and how to make it look good.

I went to the library to get some books. Then I went to Home Depot thinking that I could buy some regular tiles, break them and then glue them. It was not a bad idea in itself, except that you have to buy a whole case of tiles there if you want a different color than your regular white or off white.....that was a little too many tiles for me.

I went online and found a store that is really close to where I live, so I decided to go there. The lady was really nice and helpful and got me started in buying the right material for the amount of money I could spend. I also bought a big mirror that I could use for the mosaic.

When I arrived home I started laying the square piece around as if to make geometrical looking mosaic....but then creativity came flooding and I started cutting the pieces to make it look more like a scenery. Since I had bought a lot of blues I thought about making the sea on the bottom and the sky on top, and try to make do it so it would be obvious. Well, enough said about the mosaic here is a picture of it:


My sister really liked it, and I am happy with it. I don't think that this one was really cost effective, but I bought a couple of little mirrors at Ikea, Montreal that cost $3 each, that are not as big, but are definitely a lot cheaper than this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Beautiful! Mosaic is one of my favorite art forms...I'd love to try it one day.

Hh

January 16, 2006  
Blogger Bebu said...

Thank you! You should try it. It is really easy. The hardest part is to find a store near you that will sell the material. I didn't want to buy the stuff online the first time around. I prefer to see it and be able to touch it first...if it makes any sense!

January 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter