Tuesday, October 03, 2006

National Midwifery Week

Midwifery is always on the back of my mind. I think about it everyday and it always makes me happy and excited. But as I have mentioned in the past, I am not sure which path to take to achieve my goal.

I have been thinking about doing a nursing degree to become a Certified Nurse Midwife. I love the idea of having a nursing degree to fall back on when I have young children and can't be on call for a while, but you can read the issues that I have about being a nurse here (Interestingly enough I wrote that post almost exactly a year ago.)

Husby has thought in the past about becoming a Physician Assistant. He loves helping people and I think that it would be a great thing for him to do. Since he has a business degree, having all the medical experience to be admitted in the program takes a lot of time and effort, and because we both just graduated, it's nice to get settled and enjoy our new status and save some money before going bankrupt some more.

But since I am considering doing a nursing degree and I am not too thriled about it, we started talking about myself becoming a PA. We are going to go to an informational meeting to see if it's even feasible, but I was reading a book last night that is meant for people to figure out if they are meant to become PA, how to get in etc...and something struck to me.

One of the advices that the book gives is to show your passion when you write your essay and during the interview to be accepted in the program. They explain that even if your grade are not as good as some other applicants, if you really show that you are passionate about the career, they might see this as a being the drive that you need to study one more hour, or read one more book than other less enthusiastic students would...and this is a problem.

The only true passion that I have and that would drive me to go the extra mile and to learn more and more is to learn about how to take care of pregnant women and to eventually being able to see their babies being born. Imagining myself as an OB/GYN's Physician Assistant does not get me all excited, it would only be a mean for me to eventually become a Midwife, and as Husby said, if we pay the amount of money that it takes to do the PA program I don't think that I'll be able to pay again to do a Midwifery degree.

There are a lot of things that I think about doing in the meantime (until I figure out what the heck I am going to do) and I think that doing them might very well help me. I would like to be a lactaction consultant. I think that it would be a great first step. I would definitely enjoy becoming a doula, but I would have to have a long discussion with my boss...I would LOVE to go to a Workshop at the Farm, but I just realized that that would have to wait until May 2007 anyway...

The sad thing is that a year later I am still in the same place regarding midwifery, but I believe that everything happens for a reason, so until I figure out which step I will take next to reach my dream, Happy National Midwifery Week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter